Waveform® Biradial-G 2D GRG Sound Diffuser
The Waveform™ Biradial-G is a timeless shape in architectural acoustics, used in auditoriums both as overhead canopies, in order to better blend the direct and reflected sound, and along walls to provide scattered sound to the audience. A canopy design approach will increase intelligibility, enhance musical clarity and improve intimacy. Typically, curved canopy arrays are used instead of flat to provide not only the needed early reflections, but also provide some scattering of the reflected energy to more uniformly address a broader selection of the audience.
In auditoria, in order to have a sufficient volume of space for various logistical, performance and sound requirements inherent of the intended use, the design demands that there be high ceilings. If left untreated, the reflections from a far, hard ceiling can degrade the acoustical performance of the space. If the ceiling is simply treated with absorption to mitigate the disturbing reflections, then more energy, energy that is important and useful, is being removed from the space than needed. This is especially true in regards to high frequency energy. In the end, an absorptive approach means that there would be less acoustical support coming from above the audience which if appropriately addressed can increase intelligibility, enhance musical clarity and improve intimacy as noted above.
Overhead canopies are suspended below the constructed ceiling in auditoriums to both improve and provide control for the acoustics of the space. When properly oriented, canopy arrays will provide desirable early reflections while helping to maintain the required reverberation time. This can be accomplished by incorporating absorption into the rear cavity of the unit. Flat panel arrays are sometimes used for economy; however, these can potentially provide non-uniform sound to the audience. This issue is solved simply by curving and orienting the panels to provide sound diffusion. The simplest approach to curving the panels is a single curvature panel RPG calls the Monoradial™.
- Offers a cost effective, efficient and attractive acoustical canopy and wall treatment solution for large, acoustically demanding spaces for music, theater and lecture.
- Broad bandwidth sound diffusion in a decorative, furniture grade paint finish.
- Available in 8' x 8' (nominal) size and can be arrayed seamlessly into very large areas.
- Choose from any commercially available paint color.
- Stable, non-combustible acoustical gypsum is an excellent choice for commercial projects and offers LEED points.
- Canopy layouts can be sequence optimized, along the length of the hall for both height and tilt, for further improvement in coverage and scattering.